Copyright © 2020 Hmart. All Rights Reserved.
Kimchi butter chicken kiev / 김치버터 치킨키에브
A mouth-watering Asian x European fusion recipe created by a Cambridge grad student. Try how amazing kimchi rolled in butter for a tender and crispy delight.
Ingredients (serving 4):
4 Chicken breasts
140g Panko breadcrumbs
3 Eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper
120g Unsalted butter (room temperature)
120g Kimchi liquid and small pieces (optional: include some kimchi leaves for texture)
Pinch of salt
optional: 1/2tbsp gochugaru (red pepper flakes)
1. Pulse together all of the kimchi butter ingredients for the kimchi butter inside of a processed until it is well incorporated.
2. Shape the kimchi butter into a log on a piece of plastic wrap and roll it up, twisting the ends, so that it looks like a bonbon. Put the kimchi butter in the freezer while you prepare the chicken.
3. Pound the chicken breasts until they are about 1 cm thin with a meat mallet. Do this by putting it between two pieces of plastic wrap or baking paper. Make sure there are no holes when you pound the chicken out (or else the butter will fall out).
4. When the butter has become hard enough in the freezer, take it out and cut it into four equal parts. Put one pat of butter into the middle of each flattened chicken breast. Roll the bottom of the chicken breast over the butter, then fold in the sides. Roll up the rest of the breast to completely wrap the butter and make a tight chicken packet.
5. Prepare an assembly line for the kievs by setting out three shallow bowls. The flour (and optional gochugaru) is in bowl 1. The eggs are in bowl 2. Mix the breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper into bowl 3. Take each chicken parcel and dredge in flour (bowl 1), then eggs (bowl 2), then breadcrumbs (bowl 3). Place them on a plate. Put the chicken kievs in the freezer while you preheat the oven to 180C.
6. Prepare a frying pan, and fry each chicken kiev for about 2-3 minutes on all sides until it is browned. Finish it off in the oven for 20 minutes.